Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Granola


Hey friends!

I absolutely LOVE granola! I love it with almond milk for breakfast, mixed with yogurt and fruit for a snack, and sometimes I just grab a handful for the fun of it! I especially love it now that the hubs and I are doing the P90X workout program...I can sure use those carbs as a pick me up! The only problem is, I hate buying it at the store. The brands that are organic and not loaded with sugar can be really expensive, and you don't get very much for your money. So, my friend Megan gave me her Mom's granola recipe. It is crunchy and delicious, and the best part is that I can totally control what goes into it and keep it healthy!

Here's what you need:



Dry Mixture:
10 cups oats
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 lb. coconut
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
3 cups nuts - walnuts & almonds (I just used almonds)

Combine and blend well.



Wet Mixture:
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup black strap molasses (any molasses will work if you can't find black strap)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. vanilla

Combine above in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.


Mix the wet and dry mixtures together and spread on cookie sheets and pans.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Drop temperature to 325 degrees F and back another 15 minutes.

Cool really well. Once cool, you can add in dry fruit and store.

I halved the recipe and it made a ton of granola! There is enough to get me through at least 2 weeks, so keep that in mind when making this.

**Since ovens vary, watch your granola closely! My oven cooks too hot, so I cooked mine at 300 degrees F for almost 30 minutes, while checking it regularly.**


I couldn't resist putting in a picture of my little helper...isn't he sweet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment