Monday, October 25, 2010

Cherry Squares


Hey friends!

This is one of my all-time favorite desserts!  This recipe is from my Mom and her 4 sisters, who grew up with the blessing of my grandma and her amazing culinary skills.  Her pastries were especially delicious.  She made homemade kolaches, cinnamon rolls, breads, and even wedding cakes!  But, my crazy Mom and aunts loved the cherry squares their school cafeteria made.  I mean, what were they thinking!  With a mother that could make all sorts of amazing pastries and treats from scratch, you think they would have been happy!  But, no, they wanted dessert from the cafeteria!

But, honestly, I can't really blame them because cherry squares are so amazing!  They have such a great crumbly crust, and those cherries, oh my!  I just love it!

So, keep in mind if you choose to make these, that they were originally meant to be made in much larger batches for use in the school cafeteria.  I'm not sure who broke the recipe down to fit a 9x13 inch pan, but God bless them!

Enjoy! :)

Mix flour, sugar, melted butter and salt.

You should end up with a crumbly mixture like this.

Press half of the flour mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan.

Layer the cherries over the top.

Add the rest of the flour mixture and press firmly.

Bake at 325 degrees F until golden brown.
Yummy! :)
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 1/8 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter, melted (10 2/3 tablespoons), NO substitutions
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 #303 can cherries, tart (drained)

Directions:

Mix 1st four ingredients well.  Press 1/2 of mixture in bottom of cake pan.  Layer cherries next.  Add the rest of the flour mixture and press firmly.  Bake at 325 degrees F until golden brown.  Cut into squares while warm.

**I used 2 cans of cherries for my batch, partly because I love cherries, and partly because the only cans I could find were on the smaller side.

No comments:

Post a Comment