Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken Croissants


Hey friends!

What is it about onions sautéing in butter that is so irresistible?!?  Is it the memories of home-cooking from my childhood, or is it just that onions and butter are two ingredients that when combined are amazing no matter what you put them in?!?  All I'm saying is that if Scentsy would come out with a "Sauteed Onions in Butter" scent, I would totally buy it!

In all seriousness though, in honor of fall, the busiest time of year for teachers, I am posting my favorite, super easy, delicious meal.  I got this recipe in my wedding cookbook from my dear friend, Genny (love you!).  It is seriously hard to resist making these every night!  They have this yummy combination of slightly sweet (the crescent rolls and butter) and slightly sour (the cream cheese).  My husband absolutely adores these, and requests them almost every single week!  Every time I make these and take them to school, everyone asks for the recipe.  So here it is!  Enjoy!

Sauté onions in butter (my favorite part!)

Mix chicken, cream cheese, and 1 tablespoon melted butter.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Once onions are cool, add to mixture, combining well (I use my hands).

Flatten 2 croissants on a cookie sheet to make a rectangle.  Smooth edges together.

Spoon in chicken mixture (about 1/3 cup).

Bring corners to the center and twist to close.  Smooth the sides together.  Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with Italian breadcrumbs.

Bake at 325 degrees F until golden brown.


Ingredients:

2 cans refrigerated Pillsbury crescent rolls
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup finely chopped onions sauteed in butter  :)
1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese (I use low fat)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Italian breadcrumbs (a few pinches)

Directions:

Mix chicken, cream cheese, and 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a mixing bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add onions after cool (I mix with my hands to ensure it's well mixed).  Set aside.  On a cookie sheet, flatten 2 croissants to make a rectangle.  Smooth edges together.  Spoon in chicken mixture (about 1/3 cup) and bring corners to the center.  Twist closed and smooth sides.  Do the same with remaining croissants.  Pour or brush remaining butter over the tops of the croissants and sprinkle with Italian breadcrumbs.  Bake in 325 degree F oven until golden brown (12-14 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment